Here’s all the info and links needed to find printers or all-in-one printers that currently support Linux. If you don’t want to spend hours comparing printers, have a look at my recommended Linux compatible printers.
Last updated Feb 24th 2020, see Epson ET series below.
Last updated Oct 23th 2019, replaced a few printers with their newer models. – This is the promised update as per the comments section below, sorry about the delay! Fixed broken manufacture product links and replaced with Amazon links. Thus, in another 5 years links will hopefully point to newer models, rather than broken or discontinued product pages. Article originally posted May 2014. Good news, pretty much all printers work on Linux these days!
Recommended Linux Compatible Printers 2020
- Brother HL-L2350DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless. – Around $120
- Brother DCPL2550DW Monochrome Laser Multi-Function Printer & Copier. – $160
Epson ET series Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer. – $250 and up. (Drivers here. Link broken again? Let me know.)Update: Thanks to user feedback, I’ve been advised that some newer ET series models have no Epson supported Linux drivers. Make sure to search here first if you are locked in on purchasing Epson ET series. If nothing changes, I will remove or replace Epson ET during next update.
HP has the largest selection of Linux out-of-the-box compatible printers, a few I can recommend:
- HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Wireless Printer – $60
- HP Envy 5055 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier – $100
- HP Envy Photo 7155 All in One Photo Printer – $150
- HP OfficeJet 5255 Wireless All-in-One Printer – $125
- HP OfficeJet 5260 Wireless All-in-One Printer – $250 (includes 2 years of ink delivery)
- HP Color Laserjet Pro M180nw All in One Wireless Color Laser Printer – $300
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M281fdw All in One Wireless Color Laser Printer – $400
Prices above reflect Amazon pricing, which are subject to change.
Lists & Databases of Linux Compatible Printers 2020
- The Linux Foundation printer database – Openprinting.org/printers
- H-node, list of Linux compatible printers – H-node.org/printers/catalogue/en
- Printer & All-in-one for GNU / Linux store – Thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux
- HP Linux Imaging and Printing – HPlipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
- Linux printer and scanner drivers – Linux-drivers.org/printer_scanner.html
- Ubuntu community help page for Linux printing – Help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
HP has the largest selection of free software compatible printers. Some manufacturers require non-free drivers or plug-ins.
(Let me know when the links below begin to break again. These manufactures have heard of redirects?)
- Brother Printers – Install Brother printer drivers and utilities.
- Canon Printers – Install Canon printers using Canon tools.
- HP Printer – Install and maintain HP printers using HP tools.
- Lexmark Printers – Install Lexmark laser printers using Lexmark tools.
- Xerox Printers – Install Xerox printers using Xerox tools.
Something missing? Please submit high quality Linux-compatible printers below.