Here’s all the info and links needed to find a printer or all-in-one printer that supports Linux in 2019. If you don’t want to spend hours comparing printers, have a look at my recommended Linux compatible printers.
Last updated January 20th 2019. This is the promised update as per the comments section below, sorry about the delay! Fixed broken manufacture product links and replaced with Amazon links. Thus, in another 5 years links will hopefully point to newer models, rather than broken or discontinued product pages. Article originally posted May 2014. Good news, pretty much all printers work on Linux these days!
Recommended Linux Compatible Printers 2019
- Brother HL-L2350DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless. – Around $120
- Brother DCPL2550DW Monochrome Laser Multi-Function Printer & Copier. – $160
- Epson ET series Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer. – $250 and up. (Drivers here. Link broken again? Let me know.)
HP has the largest selection of Linux out-of-the-box compatible printers, a few I can recommend:
- HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Wireless Printer – $60
- HP Envy 4500 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier – $100
- HP OfficeJet 5255 Wireless All-in-One Printer – $100
- HP Envy Photo 6255 All in One Photo Printer – $150
- HP Laserjet Pro M281fdw color laser printer – $250
- HP Laserjet Pro 200 color Laser printer – $400
Prices above reflect Amazon pricing, which are subject to change.
Lists & Databases of Linux Compatible Printers 2019
- The Linux Foundation printer database – Openprinting.org/printers
- H-node, list of Linux compatible printers – H-node.org/printers/catalogue/en
- Printer & All-in-one for GNU / Linux store – Thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux
- HP Linux Imaging and Printing – HPlipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
- Linux printer and scanner drivers – Linux-drivers.org/printer_scanner.html
- Ubuntu community help page for Linux printing – Help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
HP has the largest selection of free software compatible printers. Some manufacturers require non-free drivers or plug-ins.
(Let me know when the links below begin to break again. These manufactures have heard of redirects?)
- Brother Printers – Install Brother printer drivers and utilities.
- Canon Printers – Install Canon printers using Canon tools.
- HP Printer – Install and maintain HP printers using HP tools.
- Lexmark Printers – Install Lexmark laser printers using Lexmark tools.
- Xerox Printers – Install Xerox printers using Xerox tools.
Something missing? Please submit high quality Linux-compatible printers below.