Here’s all the info and links needed to find printers or all-in-one printers that currently support Linux. If you don’t want to spend hours comparing printers, have a look at my recommended Linux compatible printers.
This is the promised update as per the comments section below, sorry about the delay! Fixed broken manufacture product links and replaced them with Amazon links. Thus, in another 5 years links will hopefully point to newer models, rather than broken or discontinued product pages. Of course, pricing is subject to change.
Recommended Linux Compatible Printers 2020
Aug 22nd, 2020 update – added reader-feedback, and removed the Epson ET series recommendation.
Feb 24th, 2020 update – see the “Epson ET” series paragraph. No good news yet. Will remove in next update.
Oct 23th, 2019 update – replaced a few printers with their newer models.
Overall, HP has the largest selection of Linux out-of-the-box compatible printers, some that I can recommend are:
HP Deskjet Series
- HP DeskJet 2755 Wireless All-in-One Printer, Mobile Print, Scan & Copy. – $60
- HP DeskJet Plus 4155 Wireless All-in-One Printer | Mobile Print, Scan & Copy. – $100
HP OfficeJet Series
- HP OfficeJet 5255 Wireless All-in-One Printer. – $125
- HP OfficeJet 5260 Wireless All-in-One Printer. – $500 (includes 2 years of ink delivery)
HP OfficeJet Pro Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8035 All-in-One Wireless Printer. – $200
- HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Wireless Printer. – $250
HP ENVY Series
- HP ENVY 6055 Wireless All-in-One Printer | Mobile Print, Scan & Copy – $300
- HP ENVY Pro 6455 Wireless All-in-One Printer | Mobile Print, Scan & Copy. – $350
HP LaserJet Pro Series
- HP LaserJet Pro M15w Wireless Laser Printer. – $120
- HP Laserjet Pro M118dw Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer, Auto Two-Sided Printing, Mobile Printing – $150
HP Color LaserJet Pro Series
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M182nw Wireless All-in-One Laser Printer, Mobile Print, Scan & Copy. – $350
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M283fdw Wireless All-in-One Laser Printer, Mobile Print, Scan & Copy, Duplex Printing. – $500
Other brands of highly recommended Linux compatible printers
Although HP has a monopoly market share of printing, here are additional high-quality brand printers.
- Brother HL-L2350DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless. – Around $120
- Brother , HL-L2390DW – Copy & Scan, Wireless Printing – $150
- Brother DCPL2550DW Monochrome Laser Multi-Function Printer & Copier. – $160
- Brother HL-L2300D Monochrome Laser Printer with Duplex Printing. – $200
- Brother HL-L3290CDW Compact Digital Color Printer Providing Laser Printer – $300
- Canon imageCLASS MF232w – Mono Laser 3 in 1, WiFi Direct, Mobile Ready Printer – $195
- Canon Color Image CLASS LBP622Cdw -Wireless, Mobile Ready, Duplex Laser Printer, Compact Size – $300
- Lexmark B3442dw Monochrome Laser Printer with Full-Spectrum Security – $200
- Lexmark MC3224dwe Color Multifunction Laser Printer with Print, Copy, Scan, and Wireless Capabilities – $400
- Xerox Phaser 6510/DN – Color Laser Printer. Envelopes, Paper – $300
- Xerox WorkCentre 6515/DNI – Color Multifunction Printer, Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready – $600
Thanks to user feedback, I’ve been advised that some newer Epson ET series models have no Epson supported Linux drivers. I’ve removed Epson ET from this page. Make sure to search here or contact Epson about Linux support. There are some users on Linux mint forums who have solved their Epson ET compatibility issues. You can post model specific questions there. However, be aware that the Epson ET series does not seem to be plug-n-play compatible with Linux and may require extra research and work to get things set up.
Photo, and Label printers:
- HP Envy 5055 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier – $100
- HP Envy Photo 7155 All in One Photo Printer – $150
- Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer with AirPrint – $100
- DYMO Label Printer | LabelWriter 450 – Direct Thermal Label Printer – $150
- ROLLO Label Printer – Commercial Grade Direct Thermal High Speed Printer – 4×6 Printer – $300
Lists & Databases of Linux Compatible Printers 2020
- The Linux Foundation printer database – Openprinting.org/printers
- H-node, list of Linux compatible printers – H-node.org/printers/catalogue/en
- Printer & All-in-one for GNU / Linux store – Thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux
- HP Linux Imaging and Printing – HPlipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
- Linux printer and scanner drivers – Linux-drivers.org/printer_scanner.html
- Ubuntu community help page for Linux printing – Help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
HP has the largest selection of free software compatible printers. Some manufacturers require non-free drivers or plug-ins.
(Let me know when the links below begin to break again. These manufacturers have heard of redirects?)
- Brother Printers – Install Brother printer drivers and utilities.
- Canon Printers – Install Canon printers using Canon tools.
- HP Printer – Install and maintain HP printers using HP tools.
- Lexmark Printers – Install Lexmark laser printers using Lexmark tools.
- Xerox Printers – Install Xerox printers using Xerox tools.
Something missing? Please submit high-quality Linux-compatible printers below.